Another two COVID-19 patients in Enugu test negative, as state records fresh case

Two more COVID-19 patients in Enugu State have tested negative, as the state recorded one new positive case with travel history in violation of inter-state transportation ban.

Enugu State Ministry of Health announced that two more cases out of the previously active COVID-19 cases undergoing treatment have tested negative and are being assessed for discharge from the isolation and treatment centre.

A statement by the Commissioner for Health, Obi Emmanuel Ikechukwu, on Wednesday, said that “The state has unfortunately received one new result of person who tested positive for the virus.

“This means that Enugu State has had 16 cases in all, with eight active cases and eight cases discharged after testing negative, “he said

The commissioner added that two cases that have tested negative are case number three and her son who is case number 10.

“The new positive case (case 16) is a 39-year-old indigene of Enugu who lives in Lagos State. He made his way to Enugu State in violation of the restriction order and arrived on the 13th of May, 2020.

On an alert, since he was already I’ll, he was assessed and tested. The has returned positive.

“Case 13 is a 25-year-old man from Ondo State who lives in Lagos and made his way first to Akwa Ibom, then to Rivers State and finally to Obollo Afor in Udenu LGA of Enugu State, all within the period of closure of all land boundaries and inter-state movement. He developed symptoms while at Obollo Afor, the health authorities were alerted, he was tested and his result came out positive.

“Case 14 is a 38-year-old male, from Okpuje in Nsukka LGA, who lives in Nassarawa State, and found his way back to Enugu State during the same period of lockdown. ”

He disclosed that on suspecting he may have contacted the virus, he initially went into self-quarantine in a hotel at Nsukka. He subsequently developed symptoms and alerted the health authorities. He was tested and his test result also came back positive.

Case 15 according to the commissioner, “is a 28-year-old female and a widow who hails from Igbo-Etiti Local Government Area, Enugu State and lives in Lagos State with her husband.
She recently lost her husband in Lagos and was able to smuggle her husbands corpse back to Enugu State for burial, despite the lockdown in Lagos State and the national ban on inter-state movement.
Her actions raised suspicion and the health authorities were alerted. She was subsequently tested and her result came back positive.”

He lamented that these unfortunate figures were coming up as a result of individuals who have deliberately disobeyed the lockdown order and inter-state transportation as ordered by the Federal and State governments
The commissioner maintained that ” the need to comply with the inter-statw movement restriction order and other precautionary measures for the containment of the spread of COVID-19 cannot be overemphasised”.
“In these times, we all need to comply strictly with all measures and regulations and exercise restraint from behaviours that will put others at risk

“The good people of Enugu State are still encouraged to continue to comply with the directives of the Federal and Enugu State governments on containment of the spread of COVID-19 as well as the precautionary measures in the public health advisory of the Federal Ministry of Health, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, and the Enugu State Ministry of Health”, he advised

Related posts

Leave a Reply